bhlegend dot com
September 02, 2014, 12:33:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: DirectX 10 for WinXP  (Read 8009 times)
Herzeg Dva
Like, whatever!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 10:54:34 PM »

Prove it or it didn't happen!
Red Lightning
BFG

Unanimously voted most shaggable.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 11:26:17 PM »

Windows 7 - recent rumours suggest June 2009
Earlier confirmed reports indicate late 2009

It is going to be based heavily on the Vista core, but they are claiming they are optimising it down to run on a lot less resources.

One thing I'm not liking in the features list is the amount of reliance on the Windows Live service.  From what they're making out, pretty much everything you have or do on your computer will be stored on windows live, to the point where if you log in at an internet cafe, you'll have all your settings come up as they were @ home, have access to your files etc...  Massive security nightmare imo.

Trouble, find a female. A low power blower, with optional heating, perfect for you I think.
Herzeg Dva
Like, whatever!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »

Oh all the big and little brothers will love that!
Red Lightning
BFG

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 12:42:29 AM »

the idea of the live stuff does scare the snot out of me security wise, but that aside,  a lightweight efficient vista core would rock.  I'm mildly surprised they're keeping a 32bit version for personal use.  (Current plan is personal can have 32 or 64 bit, business only 64 bit)

They really need to make the push to go into 64 bit, our hardware has been using it for a while now, its time that the software caught up.  As long as they leave behind a 32 bit version, mainstream software production will only very sluggishly adopt 64bit.   

Trouble, find a female. A low power blower, with optional heating, perfect for you I think.
Herzeg Dva
Like, whatever!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 03:05:52 AM »

What's the percentage of 32-bit CPU-powered notebooks, servers and PCs out there? I'll hazard a guess that it's still +80%. When 50% or more of hardware supports 64-bit then migration to 64-bit will become a reality on its own. Speaking of PCs we haven't heard about OEMs in financial news for ages. I wonder if people are renewing their hardware? Another thing I noticed is the trendy status of laptops, replacing PCs even in 3rd world countries. Vista penetration is helped by this phenomenon, since most notebooks have it preinstalled.
Red Lightning
BFG

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 06:50:36 AM »

well at my work (one of those high priced but high service standards shops) I sell computers, and for the same price ranges as the desktops you can get a laptop with very similar spec.

edit: We stock mostly HP, Compaq (which is HP anyways), Toshiba, Asus and Acer laptops, and HP/Compaq desktops. 

From what I can see in our pricing and other mainstream retailers, pre-built big name desktops and notebooks have become much of a muchness until you go into high-end gaming.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:52:29 AM by Red Lightning » Logged

Anomonous Guy
Global Moderator
badger badger badger badger badger badger

Anom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 09:24:29 AM »

Prove it or it didn't happen!

I think more to the point should be you proving that XP runs on a 233 MHz machine as well as Vista runs on a 1GHz machine :s

Quote from: 12 Dec 2006 17:58 Atebash
I just hate this forum!
Red Lightning
BFG

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 11:03:49 AM »

What's the percentage of 32-bit CPU-powered notebooks, servers and PCs out there? I'll hazard a guess that it's still +80%. When 50% or more of hardware supports 64-bit then migration to 64-bit will become a reality on its own.

Well if they're going to make us by the newer fancier cpu's to run the modern OS'es (Vista ... 7.... whatever comes after) then they could just as easily make that push.  CPU manufacturers are still making 32 bit cpus because software devs are still favoring 32 bit.  Software devs are still favoring 32bit because its easy to resist an upgrade. 

Mikhail_16
On the wings of love

is watching you...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »

In all fairness you'll be hardpressed to find a 32-bit newly manufactured CPU nowadays. Pretty much anything that's coming out is 64 bit.

Also its not really fair to group all and any computers into same groups. cause truth be told while a desktop distribution of cpu architectures is closer to 80% on 32, on the server level its much closer to 50%.

Herzeg Dva
Like, whatever!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 07:44:33 PM »

Okay I just realised the penetration of 64-bit Vista is lower than its 32-bit counterpart. Reason? Less phone calls to tech support I guess, over compatibility issues.

Anyway is there a way to hack Vista setup into not recognising the OS it is running on? I have a Win2003 Enterprise Server SP2 installed on a laptop and I want Vista Ultimate on it without formatting the thing.
Mikhail_16
On the wings of love

is watching you...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 12:58:01 AM »

Okay I just realised the penetration of 64-bit Vista is lower than its 32-bit counterpart. Reason? Less phone calls to tech support I guess, over compatibility issues.

Anyway is there a way to hack Vista setup into not recognising the OS it is running on? I have a Win2003 Enterprise Server SP2 installed on a laptop and I want Vista Ultimate on it without formatting the thing.

Also cause we just got a brand new computer from dell that came with vista business 32 bit (and its a Q6600 processor btw Sad)

I'm not sure but you can try finding it out. This may help: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_with_screenshots.htm or http://www.google.com/search?q=dualboot+with+vista&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1 but long story short you can simply re-partition your disk using any kind of partitioning software (partition magic comes to mind) and install vista in the newly created space.

Herzeg Dva
Like, whatever!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »

Well I took the safer route of migrating the data but thanks anyway. File sharing between Vista and XP is a nightmare btw. Whereas with Win2003 SP2 it's a breeze. I still hate dealing with Vista in general. Feels like working on a Star Trek terminal with all those chiming prompts.
Anomonous Guy
Global Moderator
badger badger badger badger badger badger

Anom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 09:31:08 PM »

Vista is a pain in the ass to communicate with XP machines, but not sure if XP has been officially patched to make it easier yet... I needed some other protocol on all of my XP machines to allow it to communicate properly. Once it is set up it works quite well though!

Quote from: 12 Dec 2006 17:58 Atebash
I just hate this forum!
Mikhail_16
On the wings of love

is watching you...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 12:05:15 AM »

Vista is a pain in the ass to communicate with XP machines, but not sure if XP has been officially patched to make it easier yet... I needed some other protocol on all of my XP machines to allow it to communicate properly. Once it is set up it works quite well though!

But why would microsoft make it easier for XP to work with Vista when they want people to be exclusively on vista?

Herzeg Dva
Like, whatever!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 12:08:39 AM »

Good point. I reckon it wouldn't be nearly as painful if there were a domain but I retired the win2k3 server months ago. Too much overhead for a small home network!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: